Monday, January 23, 2012

The milk tastes weird...

As my time living here goes on, I am getting more used to everyday life. I'm no longer feeling as impatient about waiting for everything. When I go outside I don't feel the humidity nearly as much as I did when I got here. My bug bites aren't killing me as much as they did; although I'm not sure if they're getting better or if I'm getting better at ignoring them.  I bought a bottle of Off! with Deet and that seems to be one of the only things that works. I have continued using the vinegar on my bug bites and heat rash and that helps. I would joke and say that vinegar is like my Windex from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," but in Grenada, the Windex is nutmeg! The more I experience the more I see nutmeg. I have mentioned that Grenada is also known as the Isle of Spice and that nutmeg is their biggest export, but not only do they put nutmeg in cocktails, they put it in pancakes, syrup (as in maple syrup, but it's nutmeg), crackers, jellies and jams. I have tried the jelly and I don't think it's very good! They have nutmeg liqueur and nutmeg extract for baking. And then, they also have nutmeg oil to put on cuts and burns as one would use Neosporin. There is also nutmeg cream to put on your joints if you are suffering from arthritis. The other day I saw nutmeg supplements to reduce stress! Talk about nutmeg overload! Ask a Grenadian what to put on any ailment or what to add to any food and the answer will be nutmeg.

The one thing that I really miss in the grocery stores is milk. I'm not sure why but I can never find fresh milk. The milk box is always empty, as is a lot of the produce shelves. I'm not sure if they import their dairy, but someone could make a killing around here by opening a dairy and supplying the stores with a steady stream of fresh milk. So the alternative is to buy the milk that is sitting on the shelf, un-refrigerated. I'm not sure what is done to it, but unopened the shelf life is about six months. After it's opened it has to be refrigerated and consumed within five days. There are advertisements everywhere of families drinking it. "Milk for the whole family!"  I was a little hesitant about it, and rightly so. I drink a lot of milk at home so I am really familiar with the taste. Unfortunately the shelf milk has a weird aftertaste and there just is something weird about the texture. I have also tried soy milk, but that is a far cry from milk from a cow. If I were to eat cereal daily, I would probably settle for the shelf milk, but since I don't, I think I will just have to wait until I get home to have the luxury of consuming milk.

I am learning that it is now time for me to speak like a doctor. I was in one of my classes and the professor asked us if we knew why most cats were taken to shelters. I did so I replied, "They pee in the house outside of their litter box." She answered with, "Well yes, but the appropriate reply would have been 'inappropriate urination.'" She has corrected many of the other students this way. I am beginning to understand why it seems that doctors are often socially inept and can't speak to their patients in a normal manor. It's because they are forced to speak like textbooks in school. Whelp, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So I guess it's time for me to lay in the supine position so that I can adequately achieve slumber so that when I am awakened I am capable of performing at full function. Goodnight everyone!

PS. Take a look at my new pictures that I posted! :)


http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150690344978275.501272.781648274&type=3&l=4ceb579a9e

No comments:

Post a Comment