Tuesday, February 4, 2014

New Year, New Beginnings

Hello to anyone who is still reading my blog!

It has been a ridiculously long time since I've written, but I'm really going to attempt to do shorter blogs more often this term because it really does help me get my thoughts in line. It also helps me document my memories down here because, let's face it, I'm not exactly the sharpest when I'm studying and I am most likely quickly forgetting all of the stupid things that happen to me down here. Possibly that's for the best, but for argument's sake, let's assume I'd like to remember my time in vet school later down the road.

So let's get to it: Last term was one of the worst 4 month periods of my life thus far. I'm not trying to be dramatic or encourage sympathy. It was just a terrible term. I hated all of my classes, I hated most of my teachers, we were house poor (accidentally, but that's another issue in itself) so we couldn't really do anything besides live in our apartment and eat our food. I struggled through most of my classes. I know vet school isn't supposed to be easy, but I have never had to fight so hard for anything in my life and it was definitely an emotional roller coaster with test anxiety and the feeling that no matter how hard I studied, I would still just be mediocre. Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, almost my entire class felt like that. Needless to say, that caused most of us to probably never want to see each other's faces again, which made class even more torturous. But guess what? I made it through and now I'm on to my next term with bigger and better things! (*End sob story*)

This term Nick and I moved into a house with another married couple friends of ours. They're from Arizona. Kaley is a med student and Mike is a house husband who like to spear fish, so he and Nick get along well. They have an Australian Shepherd named Layla, who Maverick is thankful for because he gets to bug her.  Our house is very large with four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, large dining room, and an "activity room," which is really just a huge room with absolutely NOTHING in it. We also have our own washer and dryer; however we don't really use the dryer to save on electricity, so we line dry everything. Our house also has three "verandas," which is what Grenadians just call balconies. Our yard is gated, so that Maverick and Layla can run around a bit, and the boys have even started a garden, so hopefully we will be eating fresh veggies before the term is over (although I have little faith in the corn...).

My family came down at the start of the term before classes started to vacation and see what my life was like down here. They enjoyed it and had great weather the whole time! We took them to a couple different beaches, hiking to Mt. Carmel waterfall, to the city, to campus, snorkeling, the whole shebang! We will still be here until May 2015, so if you'd like to plan a visit, don't delay! We'd love to see everyone down here.

My classes this term are pretty interesting. I'm taking Epidemiology, Veterinary Public Health, Intro to Surgical Skills, Intro to Medicine, Pathology, an Exotics class, and Anesthesia. It's getting pretty real because next term we get to do our first surgeries. Exciting stuff! This term we're learning suture patterns, which has been pretty fun so far. We have all the schools from the states visiting this week to talk to us about where to go for our clinical year of studies. We have to put in our bid next term, so it's going to be a big decision! This Friday we have the day off for Grenadian Independence Day, or "Grindependence Day" as we lovingly have dubbed it. We're going to BBQ and enjoy our day off, but alas, we also have to study. There is no rest for the vet student.

No comments:

Post a Comment